The proper design of a blog is key to the success of a social media marketing strategy, according to recognized professionals of the field such as David Soler and Patricia Redsicker. A blog updated on a regular basis brings the opportunity to increase the number of people marketing targets, and therefore increase the sales of a certain company. In fact, a study carried out in 2013, the Social Media Marketing Industry Report, has shown that the 63% of the marketers prefer to learn blogging in order to develop strategies. What can blogs be used for in terms of social media marketing?
If your business’s website does not have a blog (or “learning center”) that is actively updated on a regular basis, then you are missing a huge opportunity to increase your company’s visibility and therefore increase your digital reach—your potential client base and your bottom line. Nicole Beachum
1. Blogs are more likely to be shared than websites: if when surfing the Internet we find some interesting information, we feel more reluctant to share it when we feel they are trying to sell us something. Assuming that a company is mostly interested in getting its voice out there, it is more likely that people share content when the brand that is behind is less noticeable.
2. Blogs don’t involve external competition: if somebody ends up in the blog of your company and starts reading, it does not exist the threat of that person going somewhere else. Inside the blog the only alternative are the posts written by you, so in case someone goes elsewhere it will also be your own production.
3. Blogs include the possibility of leaving comments, and comments are a great source of knowledge in order to know whether you are doing it well or not. Generally speaking, the comments left by visitors will help you improve your activity and therefore achieve your goals.
4. Searching engines list them at the top: while in the past searching engines ranked the results according to key words, now this trend has changed. The last method leader engines such as Google are using is to top-list those sites that are updated more regularly. They establish a relation between the quality of a site and how often the content is renewed. In this regard blogs are the ideal tool to keep information updated, far better than websites.
If you are already convinced and want to create a blog to promote your company, Nicole Beachum, social media examiner, strongly advises to hire a professional that takes your blogging and keeps you present online. However if you prefer to design your blog yourself, take a look at these 21 Blogging Tips From the Pros.
- Beachum, N. (2012, April 10). Blogging is More Important Today Than Ever Before. Retrieved from http://socialmediatoday.com/nicolebeachum/1338806/blogging-more-important-today-ever
- King, C. (2012, October 30). 21 Business Blogging Tips From the Pros. Retrieved from http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/blogging-tips-from-the-pros/
- Redsicker, P. (2013, June 17). Research Shows Blogging a Top Focus for Marketers. Retrieved from http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/new-research-shows-blogging-a-top-focus-for-marketers/
- Soler, D. (2013, January 14). La importancia de un blog en la estrategia de marketing online. Retrieved from http://www.davidsoler.es/la-importancia-de-un-blog-en-la-estrategia-de-marketing-online/
- Stelzner, M. (2013, May 21). 2012 Social Media Marketing Industry Report. Retrieved from http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/social-media-marketing-industry-report-2013/